Re: raid writethrough mode (WT), ssds and your DB. (was Performances issues with SSD volume ?)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: raid writethrough mode (WT), ssds and your DB. (was Performances issues with SSD volume ?)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 01:37:48PM +0000, Graeme B. Bell wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
> I'm *extremely* certain of what I say when I say WB+BBU=good and direct WT=bad.

It is my understanding that write-through is always safe as it writes
through to the layer below and waits for acnoledgement.  Write-back
doesn't, so when you say:

> WT should be OK with e.g. Intel SSDs.

I assume you mean Write-Back is OK because the drive has a BBU, while
Write-Through is always safe.

You also say:

> >> - WT with most SSDs will likely corrupt your postgres database the
> >> first time you lose power. (on all the drives I've tested)

which contradicts what you said above, and I assume you mean write-back
here.

  + Everyone has their own god. +