Re: Exposing PG_VERSION_NUM in pg_config

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Exposing PG_VERSION_NUM in pg_config
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 07:26:18PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> writes:
> > "Tom" == Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> >  Tom> I concur with Michael that there's value in exposing the version
> >  Tom> number in the numeric form used by PG_VERSION_NUM.  However, I
> >  Tom> also concur with Andrew that if the use-case for this is
> >  Tom> Makefiles, pg_config is a pretty poor transmission mechanism.  We
> >  Tom> should instead add PG_VERSION_NUM to the version variables set in
> >  Tom> Makefile.global.
>
> > I think there's an argument for both. pg_config already has a VERSION=
> > string in the output, and I think adding a VERSION_NUM= would be good
> > for consistency there. And people definitely do want to do version
> > comparisons in makefiles...
>
> Hm.  We're all agreed that there's a use case for exposing PG_VERSION_NUM
> to the makefiles, but I did not hear one for adding it to pg_config; and
> doing the former takes about two lines whereas adding a pg_config option
> entails quite a lot of overhead (documentation, translatable help text,
> yadda yadda).  So I'm not in favor of doing the latter without a much
> more solid case than has been made.

Would PG_VERSION_NUM in the Makefile actually help writers of
extensions to do numeric comparisons on the version of PostgreSQL in a
way that doesn't win a Rube Goldberg award?

If not, that's good and sufficient reason to make it a pg_config
output option.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!