Re: get_object_address support for additional object types

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: get_object_address support for additional object types
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro,

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > It'd certainly be great to have more testing in general, but we're not
> > going to be able to include complete code coverage tests in the normal
> > set of regression tests which are run..  What I've been thinking for a
> > while (probably influenced by other discussion) is that we should have
> > the buildfarm running tests for code coverage as those are async from
> > the development process.  That isn't to say we shouldn't add more tests
> > to the main regression suite when it makes sense to, we certainly
> > should, but we really need to be looking at code coverage tools and
> > adding tests to improve our test coverage which can be run by the
> > buildfarm animals (or even just a subset of them, if we feel that having
> > all the animals running them would be excessive).
>
> Well, we already have make targets for gcov and friends; you get some
> HTML charts and marked-up source lines with coverage counts, etc.  I
> don't think we've made any use of that.  It'd be neat to have something
> similar to our doxygen service, running some test suite and publishing
> the reports on the web.  I remember trying to convince someone to set
> that up for the community, but that seems to have yield no results.

I don't think we've made use of it either.  If the targets/code are
already there to make it happen and it's just a matter of having a
system running which is generating the website then I can probably get
that going.  I was under the impression that there was more to it than
that though.

> We had someone else trying to submit patches to improve coverage of the
> regression tests, but (probably due to wrong stars alignment) they
> started with CREATE DATABASE which made the tests a lot slower, which
> got the patches turned down -- the submitter disappeared after that
> IIRC, probably discouraged by the lack of results.

Agreed, and I think that's unfortunate.  It's an area which we could
really improve in and would be a good place for someone new to the
community to be able to contribute- but we need to provide the right way
for those tests to be added and that way isn't to include them in the
main suite of tests which are run during development.
Thanks!
    Stephen