Upgrading to 9.4 to get replication slots (was Re: Streaming replication and WAL archiving)

От David F. Skoll
Тема Upgrading to 9.4 to get replication slots (was Re: Streaming replication and WAL archiving)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:37:46 -0500
John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had some issues with pg_upgrade and 9.4. For my test systems, as
> I didn't really have the resources to diagnose what was going on, I
> just used a pg_dumpall to unload the 9.3.3 instance and then just ran
> psql to load the output from pg_dumpall.

Dump/restore is not an option for me.  It would mean many hours of
downtime which is unacceptable.  I can barely get away with two hours
of downtime and that would have to be in the wee hours of Sunday
morning.  People tend to get very cranky when their email stops flowing!

> The more wonderful part of installing different minor versions of
> postgresql, is that most O/S packages put the binaries and the
> default data directories in slightly different areas, so they can
> co-exist, just not necessarily run at the same time without
> specifying different connect ports.

I use Debian and the Debian packages are very good at allowing concurrent
installation of different versions, so that's a plus.

Regards,

David.