Re: pg_upgrade and rsync

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: pg_upgrade and rsync
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > The example listed works, but only when it's a local rsync:
> >
> > rsync --archive --hard-links --size-only old_dir new_dir remote_dir
> >
> > Perhaps a better example (or additional one) would be with a remote
> > rsync, including clarification of old and new dir, like so:
> >
> > (run in /var/lib/postgresql)
> > rsync --archive --hard-links --size-only \
> >   9.3/main \
> >   9.4/main \
> >   server:/var/lib/postgresql/
> >
> > Note that 9.3/main and 9.4/main are two source directories for rsync to
> > copy over, while server:/var/lib/postgresql/ is a remote destination
> > directory.  The above directories match a default Debian/Ubuntu install.
>
> My point is that Bruce's patch suggests looking for "remote_dir" in
> the rsync documentation, but no such term appears there.

Ah, well, perhaps we could simply add a bit of clarification to this:

for details on specifying <option>remote_dir</>

like so:

for details on specifying the destination <option>remote_dir</>

?

On my system, the rsync man page has '[DEST]' in the synopsis, but it
doesn't actually go on to specifically define what 'DEST' is, rather
referring to it later as 'destination' or 'remote directory'.

I'm sure other suggestions would be welcome if they'd help clarify.
Thanks,
    Stephen