BUG: *FF WALs under 9.2 (WAS: .ready files appearing on slaves)

От Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Тема BUG: *FF WALs under 9.2 (WAS: .ready files appearing on slaves)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

We spend some time with Guillaume Lelarge studying this issue.

CreateRestartPoint() calls RemoveOldXlogFiles() to drop/recycle old WALs. This
one is calling XLogArchiveCheckDone() to check if the given WAL can be dropped.
As our slave has "archive_mode" & "archive_command" set, XLogArchivingActive()
returns true, forcing XLogArchiveCheckDone() to look for a ".done" file. If the
corresponding ".done" file doesn't exist, XLogArchiveCheckDone() calls
XLogArchiveNotify() to actually create the ".ready" file.

Now, on a standby, we are supposed to create the ".done" files by calling
XLogArchiveForceDone() either after a successful restore_command or when the
streaming replication finishes and flushes a WAL. It seems like the root cause
of this trouble: maybe a race condition where XLogArchiveForceDone() would not
be called for a WAL. As the ".done" file is never created, we end up calling
XLogArchiveNotify() to create a ".ready" and this WAL will never be archived by
the slave, sitting in the pg_xlog dir.

But worst, we experience this under two 9.2.8 clusters and realized
this version is not supposed to have 256 segments per WAL, finishing a WAL to
the *FE one. I'm quoting back the history of my previous mail as we clearly
have some *FF files on the slave side!

> >   000000010000040E000000FF
> >   0000000100000414000000DA
> >   000000010000046E000000FF
> >   0000000100000470000000FF
> >   00000001000004850000000F
> >   000000010000048500000010
> >   [...normal WAL sequence...]
> >   000000010000048500000052

Note that it seems to happen only during streaming replication, not in pure Log
Shipping replication. We added the debug message on the master side to make
sure it never archive *FF file

We kept the WAL files and log files for further analysis. How can we help
regarding this issue?

Regards,

--
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais