Re: Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump behaves differently for different archive formats

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump behaves differently for different archive formats
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> writes:
> > I thought that changing the dump format for this would be too
> > much trouble, so I came up with the attached.

If we're going to change this, it seems to me that the only option would
be to change the dump format...  Just off-the-cuff, I'm wondering if we
could actually not change the real 'format' but simply promote each ACL
entry (and similar cases..) to top-level objects and declare that TOC
entries should be single statements.

> While those specific problems could no doubt be fixed, I object to the
> entire concept of assuming that what pg_dump emits is always going to be
> trivially parsable.  If we are to go down this path, I think we have to
> replicate what psql is doing to identify statement boundaries ... and
> as I mentioned upthread, that's rather a lot of code :-(

Agreed.  If we want this, we should handle it on the pg_dump side, not
try and work it out on the pg_restore side.
Thanks,
    Stephen