Re: DISCARD ALL (Again)

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: DISCARD ALL (Again)
Дата
Re: DISCARD ALL (Again)  (Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 04/17/2014 02:17 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> >On 04/17/2014 01:44 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>Does it seem reasonable based on the docs:
> >>
> >>DISCARD ALL:
> >>
> >>Releases all temporary resources associated with the current session and
> >>resets the session to its initial state.
> >>
> >>That we should also release the GD?
> >
> >It does, but that's a feature request, not a bug.  Same with pl/perl.
> >

> Well I would argue it is a documentation bug/error and that yes, we
> have a legitimate feature request for DISCARD ALL to clear the GD.

It does sounds a legitimate feature request to me.  I don't remember if
we honored the request to add resetting of cached sequences, though; if
we didn't, this one is probably going to be tough too.

Another point is that to implement this I think there will need to be
another per-PL entry point to discard session data; are we okay with
that?  Since this probably means a new column in pg_language, we
couldn't even consider the idea of back-patching.  Unless we add a hook,
which is registered in the PL's _PG_init()?

Are we going to backpatch a doc change that says "releases all temporary
resources, except for plptyhon's and plperl's GD"?  Surely not ...