Re: Changeset Extraction v7.9.1

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Changeset Extraction v7.9.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-03-17 06:55:28 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > Attached are the collected remaining patches. The docs might need
> > further additions, but it seems better to add them now.
>
> A few questions about pg_recvlogical:
>
> - There doesn't seem to be any provision for this tool to ever switch
> from one output file to the next.  That seems like a practical need.
> One idea would be to have it respond to SIGHUP by reopening the
> originally-named output file.  Another would be to switch, after so
> many bytes, to filename.1, then filename.2, etc.

Hm. So far I haven't had the need, but you're right, it would be
useful. I don't like the .<n> notion, but SIGHUP would be fine with
me. I'll add that.

> - It confirms the write and flush positions, but doesn't appear to
> actually flush anywhere.

Yea. The reason it reports the flush position is that it allows to test
sync rep. I don't think other usecases will appreciate frequent
fsyncs... Maybe make it optional?

> - While I quite agree with your desire for stringinfo in src/common,
> couldn't you use the roughly-equivalent PQExpBuffer facilities in
> libpq instead?

Yes.

Greetings,

Andres Freund