Re: Enhancement Request

От ktm@rice.edu
Тема Re: Enhancement Request
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 02:49:32PM +0000, Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Web Services at the University of Illinois has been using PostgreSQL for 11 years for serving up web content.  We
generatearound two million pages of database driven content a month.  We love the work you are doing.

> I have an enhancement request.  Sometimes when using a database there is a need to have particular tables always in
memory. An example of this would be our web application session data.  The session data is used by a cluster of tomcat
nodes. It would be nice to have a way to say to PostgreSQL, put this particular table data in memory always.  If you
alreadyhave this feature please let me know.  There would probably also need to be a way to see how much data is being
takenup by these preferred tables.  This would probably require other things to also be put into memory as well like

> To get around this issue we are planning on implementing a second PostgreSQL database on a dedicated server in order
tomake sure the session data is always in memory.  But it would be nice to not actually have a second server for just
sessiondata if we really don't need it.

> Thanks for considering this idea.

Hi Lance,

You might also want to take a look at pgmemcache:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgmemcache/

It is a PostgreSQL interface to memcached which seems like it would fit your
needs for session data very well. The other option that was already mentioned
is to make a tmpfs tablespace.

Regards,
Ken