Re: inherit support for foreign tables

От David Fetter
Тема Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 05:06:19PM +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> Hi Hanada-san,
>
> While still reviwing this patch, I feel this patch has given enough
> consideration to interactions with other commands, but found the
> following incorrect? behabior:
>
> postgres=# CREATE TABLE product (id INTEGER, description TEXT);
> CREATE TABLE
> postgres=# CREATE FOREIGN TABLE product1 () INHERITS (product)
> SERVER fs OPTIONS (filename '/home/foo/product1.csv', format 'csv');
> CREATE FOREIGN TABLE
> postgres=# ALTER TABLE product ALTER COLUMN description SET STORAGE
> EXTERNAL;
> ERROR:  "product1" is not a table or materialized view
>
> ISTN the ALTER TABLE simple recursion mechanism (ie
> ATSimpleRecursion()) should be modified for the ALTER COLUMN SET
> STORAGE case.

This points to a larger discussion about what precisely foreign tables
can and cannot inherit from local ones.  I don't think that a generic
solution will be satisfactory, as the PostgreSQL FDW could, at least
in principle, support many more than the CSV FDW, as shown above.

In my estimation, the outcome of discussion above is not a blocker for
this patch.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!