Re: Opinions on SSDs

От David F. Skoll
Тема Re: Opinions on SSDs
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:01:09 -0500 (CDT)
Scott Whitney <scott@journyx.com> wrote:

> When you say "16 10K drives," do you mean:

I mean 8 RAID-1 pairs with data striped across the pairs.  The Linux
software RAID "offset" scheme is described here:

http://www.ilsistemista.net/index.php/linux-a-unix/35-linux-software-raid-10-layouts-performance-near-far-and-offset-benchmark-analysis.html?start=1

> The SSD solution I put in has shown significant speed improvements,
> to say the very least.

OK; thanks.

> Basically, just assume that you're getting 130 iops per drive. Well,
> 16 drives in a RAID 0 is going to max you out at 2100ish iops,

With our RAID-10 array, we're looking at about 1050 iops.  Our server
currently is holding up OK with a decidedly non-optimal arrangment
(four RAID-1 volumes with pg_xlog on one, most DB files on a second,
and a couple of tablespaces with hand-placed tables and indexes on the
other two, and only 7200 RPM disks.)

So I think 16 10Krpm spinning disks will probably suffice; the failure mode
of SSDs makes me nervous.

Regards,

David.