Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Дата
Ответ на Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
* Greg Stark (stark@mit.edu) wrote:
> I used to be a Debian package maintainer. I packaged kerberos and afs and a
> number of smaller packages. I know why Debian separates config files.

Ditto (though I suppose I'm still technically "active").

> If a file is automatically maintained then it's internal program state just
> like the list of users, databases, tables, etc.

Right.

> Programs keep their state in /var. It would be just as wrong to put
> auto.conf in /etc as it is to put the existing postgresql.conf in PGDATA.

Agreed.

Though, I have to say that I think we need "pg_hba.d" and "pg_ident.d"
more than we need a conf.d for postgresql.conf snippets..  And ditto for
auto.conf-style managed-through-PG options for pg_hba and pg_ident.
Apologies for not having been able to keep up with this thread fully, so
feel free to point out if this has already been discussed. :)
Thanks,
    Stephen