Re: Postgres schema having > 20,000 schemas

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Postgres schema having > 20,000 schemas
Дата
Re: Postgres schema having > 20,000 schemas  (Anand Muthukrishnan <lucky.developer@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 04:41:07PM +0530, Anand Muthukrishnan wrote:
> Can a single Postgres database contain more than 20,000 schemas? What are the
> implications of such a database design.
>
> I was reading about postgres schemas here - http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/
> static/ddl-schemas.html and I'm planning to create one schema per account in my
> multi-tenant Ruby on Rails app. Each schema would have a set of tables to store
> data of the relevant account.
>
> Each user/schema for all the features we offer, could have 50-60 tables.
>
> Can postgres handle all of this without any hiccups, provided I allocate a
> large EC2 instance to host the database server ?
>
> By experience if any one faced trouble with such number of schemas in postgres,
> they could share and i thought i can get more guidance to avoid such pitfalls.

Well, I think the big question is whether you want them all in the same
database (in separate schemas), or in their own databases.  You might
want to look at this:

    http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2012.html#April_23_2012

We have done some work in improving performance for databases with many
table and many schemas.  Not sure about the 20k schema performance,
though.  You might need to just test it.