Re: pg_upgrade with -j shows no perf improvement

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade with -j shows no perf improvement
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 02:29:24PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm in the early stages of preparing to upgrade a production 9.2
> cluster to 9.3, by testing the beta of 9.3.  All of my testing is
> happening on RHEL6-x86_64 on a dedicated server with 128GB RAM and 2x
> Intel Xeon E5-2670 CPUs, with all of $PGDATA residing on an 8 disk
> RAID10 array.
>
> Currently, a full pg_basebackup of my data is approaching 800GB in
> size (uncompressed), so this isn't a tiny, trivial database.
>
> I was curious about how much of a performance gain I'd get from
> upgrading with the new -j option to pg_upgrade, so first I performed
> the upgrade without it to get a baseline.  The command I ran for the
> upgrade is as follows:
> time pg_upgrade -v -d /var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data -D
> /var/lib/pgsql/9.3/data -b /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin -B /usr/pgsql-9.3/bin
>
> time reported the following afterward the upgrade had completed successfully:
> real    24m59.255s
> user    0m17.069s
> sys    15m25.153s
>

> I then repeated the upgrade (after blowing away $PGDATA, and running
> initdb again for 9.3), and re-ran pg_upgrade with the same command as
> above, only with '-j4' appended to the end.  Surprisingly, the
> completion time was less than 30 seconds faster.  I repeated a third
> time with '-j8', and that was about the same completion time as with
> '-j4'.  I guess I could repeat with 'j2', but I'd be surprised if it
> was dramatically faster when -j4 was only marginally so.  It seems
> like the parallelism of the -j option doesn't seem to be helping much
> at all, in my case.
>
> Is this expected, or is it possible that there's a bug somewhere?  Let
> me know if I can provide any logs from the upgrade.

The documentation states:

     The <option>--jobs</> option allows multiple CPU cores to be used
     for copying/linking of files and to dump and reload database schemas
     in parallel;  a good place to start is the maximum of the number of
     CPU cores and tablespaces.  This option can dramatically reduce the
     time to upgrade a multi-database server running on a multiprocessor
     machine.

My guess is that you didn't have many tablespaces or databases, or the
copy time overwhelmed the performance improvement of the parallelism.
I am not surprised you didn't see a big win.  Can you test --link
mode?