Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Dimitri Fontaine (dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr) wrote:
> > What happens with the default settings when you try to install two
> > extensions that have overlapping function signatures..?  I can't imagine
> > it 'just works'..  And then what?  Is there a way that an admin can set
> > up search paths for individual users which provide the 'right' function
> > and work even when the user decides to change their search_path?
>
> That entirely depends on how the extension script is written. Making it
> possible to have two versions concurrently installed require a non
> trivial amount of efforts, but I don't think the extension facility gets
> in the way at all, currently.

How would you recommend writing an extension script which deals with
conflicts?

Also, as Andres points out, the current extension system doesn't allow
installing multiple versions.  It'd be kind of nice if it did, but
there's problems in that direction.  Extension authors can manage that
issue by having differently named extensions (where the name includes
some number); similar to libraries.  That isn't the only case where name
conflicts can and will occur between extensions though, which is the
more general issue that I was pointing out.

If there's no knowledge between the extension authors of the other
extension (which is likey the case..) then chances are that such a
conflict will cause either a failure or incorrect behavior.
Thanks,
    Stephen