Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > One of the things that we frequently recommend when doing
> > upgrades is that you do the dump with the newer version's pg_dump, so
> > as to get the benefits of any bug fixes that are in it.  The more
> > dump functionality is on the server side, the less opportunity we have
> > to repair things that way.
>
> But why wouldn't we be able to fix the version in the server, if it
> turns out to be buggy?  I suppose we wouldn't fix bugs discovered
> after EOL, but I'm not sure that's a sufficient objection.

There are other things beyond bugs here..  Changes in reserved keywords
is actually the biggest reason, ime, to use the newer pg_dump when
you're trying to move to a newer PG version.  I don't think we'd want to
either go to quoteing everything (yuck), or having a point release
suddenly change what gets quoted and what doesn't in a pg_dump..
Thanks,
    Stephen

Сообщение: Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions
Сообщение: Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions