Re: Remaining beta blockers

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Remaining beta blockers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Kevin Grittner (kgrittn@ymail.com) wrote:
> If they modified the heap files that way while the server was
> running, the results would be somewhat unpredictable.  If they did
> it while the server was stopped, starting the server and attempting
> to access the matview would generate:

Right, the point being that they could (ab)use it as a flag to trigger
something to happen.  I'd also be worried about failure cases where
files appear to be zero-length.

> > Or we end up wanting to have that file be non-zero and considered
> > 'empty' later, but we don't want pg_upgrade running around
> > touching all of the existing files out there?
>
> I didn't follow this one; could you restate it, please?

Down the road we decide that we shouldn't have any zero-length files
(perhaps due to checksums..?), yet we have to special case around these
mat views and figure out a way to deal with them during pg_upgrade.
Thanks,
    Stephen