Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 02:25:08PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> [...]
BACKWARDCOMPATIBLE BREAK

> >>Can you clarify which commits these came from? The first one is
> >>clear (dfda6eba), and I think the 3rd covers commits 20ba5ca6 and
> >>061e7efb1. But what is that second entry?
> >
> >Frankly, I found the WAL and timeline commits all over the place and
> >could hardly make sense of it.  I tried to collapse entries into
> >meaningful items, but I need help.  Can you suggest changes?
>
> Ok:
>
> * Don't skip the last 16 MB WAL segment every 4GB, with filename
> ending in FF (Heikki Linnakangas) BACKWARD COMPATIBLE BREAK

Uh, I am unclear why this is better than the original text.  We don't
normally explain things like WAL file patterns in the release notes.

> * Change WAL record format, allowing the record header to be split
> across pages. The new format is slightly more compact. (Heikki
> Linnakangas)

Done.

> In "Source Code" section:
>
> * Use a 64-bit integer to represent WAL positions (XLogRecPtr),
> instead of two 32-bit integers. (Heikki Linnakangas)

Added.

> Do we usually repeat the changes listed in the backwards
> compatibility section later, in the "Changes" section? If not, then
> instead of the first two items above, let's just have these in the
> backwards-compatibility section:

We do not repeat the incompatibile items later in release notes.  I have
added some of your text to one of the items, and added a mention that
tooling will need adjustment.  Please check the post-commit version and
let me know about adjustments.

http://enterprisedb.com