Re: Patch: clean up addRangeTableEntryForFunction

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Patch: clean up addRangeTableEntryForFunction
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:02:18PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > I've been working with Andrew Gierth (well, mostly he's been doing
> > the work, as usual) to add WITH ORDINALITY as an option for
> > set-returning functions.  In the process, he found a minor
> > opportunity to clean up the interface for $SUBJECT, reducing the
> > call to a Single Point of Truth for lateral-ness, very likely
> > improving the efficiency of calls to that function.
>
> As I mentioned in our off-list discussion, I think this is going in
> the wrong direction.  It'd make more sense to me to get rid of the
> RangeFunction parameter, instead passing the two fields that
> addRangeTableEntryForFunction actually uses out of that.

With utmost respect, of the four fields currently in RangeFunction:
type (tag), lateral, funccallnode, alias, and coldeflist, the function
needs three (all but funccallnode, which has already been transformed
into a funcexpr).  The patch for ordinality makes that 4/5 with the
ordinality field added.

> If we do what you have here, we'll be welding together the alias and
> lateral settings for the new RTE; which conceivably some other
> caller would want to specify in a different way.  As a comparison
> point, you might want to look at the various calls to
> addRangeTableEntryForSubquery: some of those pass multiple fields
> out of the same RangeSubselect, and some do not.

As to addRangeTableEntryForSubquery, I'm not seeing the connection to
the case at hand.  Could you please spell it out?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!