Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> It seems instr_time.h on Windows simply does not provide current
>> timestamp. From pgbench.c:
>>
>>         /*
>>          * if transaction finished, record the time it took in the log
>>          */
>>         if (logfile && commands[st->state + 1] == NULL)
>>         {
>>             instr_time    now;
>>             instr_time    diff;
>>             double        usec;
>>
>>             INSTR_TIME_SET_CURRENT(now);
>>             diff = now;
>>             INSTR_TIME_SUBTRACT(diff, st->txn_begin);
>>             usec = (double) INSTR_TIME_GET_MICROSEC(diff);
>>
>> #ifndef WIN32
>>             /* This is more than we really ought to know about instr_time */
>>             fprintf(logfile, "%d %d %.0f %d %ld %ld\n",
>>                     st->id, st->cnt, usec, st->use_file,
>>                     (long) now.tv_sec, (long) now.tv_usec);
>> #else
>>             /* On Windows, instr_time doesn't provide a timestamp anyway */
>>             fprintf(logfile, "%d %d %.0f %d 0 0\n",
>>                     st->id, st->cnt, usec, st->use_file);
>> #endif
>>         }
>

> This might be way more than we want to do, but there is an article
> that describes some techniques for doing what seems to be missing
> (AIUI):
>
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163996.aspx>

Even this would be doable, I'm afraid it may not fit in 9.3 if we
think about the current status of CF. So our choice would be:

1) Postpone the patch to 9.4

2) Commit the patch in 9.3 without Windows support

I personally am ok with #2. We traditionally avoid particular paltform
specific features on PostgreSQL.  However I think the policiy could be
losen for contrib staffs. Also pgbench is just a client program. We
could always use pgbench on UNIX/Linux if we truely need the feature.

What do you think?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan