Re: pg_upgrade problem with invalid indexes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade problem with invalid indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec  6, 2012 at 10:27:21PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec  6, 2012 at 09:45:11PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > Or preserve it as-is.  I don't really like the 'make them fix it'
> > > option, as a user could run into that in the middle of a planned upgrade
> > > that had been tested and never had that come up.
> >
> > They would get the warning during pg_upgrade --check, of course.
>
> Sure, if they happened to have a concurrent index creation going when
> they ran the check...  But what if they didn't and it only happened to
> happen during the actual pg_upgrade?  I'm still not thrilled with this
> idea of making the user have to abort in the middle to address something
> that, really, isn't a big deal to just preserve and deal with later...

If a concurrent index creation was happening during the check,
pg_upgrade --check would fail.  I don't think there is any indication if
the index is failed, or in process.

That is a good argument for _not_ throwing an error because index
creation is more of an intermediate state.

http://enterprisedb.com