Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
* Igor Chudov (ichudov@gmail.com) wrote:
> Well, my question is, rather, whether the time to do a bulk INSERT of N
> records into a large table, would take substantially longer than a bulk
> insert of N records into a small table. In other words, does the populating
> time grow as the table gets more and more rows?

Oh, in that regard, the answer would generally be 'no'.  PostgreSQL
maintains a table known as the 'free space map', where it keeps track of
where there is 'free space' to insert data into a table.  As someone
else mentioned, if there's a lot of indexes then it's possible that the
increased depth in the index due to the larger number of tuples might
mean the larger table is slower, but I don't think it'd make a huge
difference, to be honest...

Are you seeing that behavior?  There's nothing like testing it to see
exactly what happens, of course..

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability
Сообщение: Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability