Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability

От Igor Chudov
Тема Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Igor Chudov <ichudov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say that I want to do INSERT SELECT of 1,000 items into a table. The
> table has some ints, varchars, TEXT and BLOB fields.
> Would the time that it takes, differ a great deal, depending on whether the
> table has only 100,000 or 5,000,000 records?

Depends.  Got any indexes?  The more indexes you have to update the
slower it's gonna be.  You can test this, it's easy to create test
rows like so:

insert into test select generate_series(1,10000);

etc.  There's lots of examples floating around on how to do that.  So,
make yourself a couple of tables and test it.

Well, my question is, rather, whether the time to do a bulk INSERT of N records into a large table, would take substantially longer than a bulk insert of N records into a small table. In other words, does the populating time grow as the table gets more and more rows?

Сообщение: Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability
Сообщение: Re: Postgres INSERT performance and scalability