Re: pgsql: Mention "pg_ctl stop" in pgindent README instructions.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pgsql: Mention "pg_ctl stop" in pgindent README instructions.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Then the answer is "don't do that." Surely it's far saner to run
> > configure --prefix=/path/to/temploc and then go from there. Disturbing a
> > running postmaster for this purpose is crazy. BTW, for years I've used a
> > gadget to set up every piece of development work with its own install
> > location and port so that this sort of problem doesn't happen. It's
> > fairly trivial but I'll gladly share it with you. I rather imagined
> > every serious postgres developer would have such a thing.
>
> Well, I use that README most and I wanted to be reminded to shut down
> the postmaster.  I don't use Postgres for any production work so
> installing in my default location makes sense for me.
>
> We mention in our docs shutting down the postmaster before installing:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/install-procedure.html
>
>     Installing the Files
>
>         Note: If you are upgrading an existing system and are going to
>     install the new files over the old ones, be sure to back up your data
>     and shut down the old server before proceeding, as explained in Section
>     15.4 above.

I am not sure why you are so concerned about this one line in a
developer README, but if you would prefer, I can add text to remind
people to shut down the postmaster before the install, rather than
mentioning 'pg_ctl stop'.  I need something to remind me so I don't have
this problem in the future.