Re: pgsql: Mention "pg_ctl stop" in pgindent README instructions.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pgsql: Mention "pg_ctl stop" in pgindent README instructions.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 06/09/2011 11:28 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >> This change make no sense at all. Why would you be running 'pg_ctl stop'
> >> when there is nothing to suggest that there's a postgres running. And
> >> even if there is there's not the slightest reason for stopping it unless
> >> it's in the same location you're installing to. Certainly having this
> >> line in the README with no comment about when you might want it is going
> >> to be highly confusing at best. I think you need to rethink this.
> > Well, I have a Postgres running, and it the install goes into the same
> > directory, so my regression tests failed, so I documented the command to
> > shut down the postmaster.
>
> Then the answer is "don't do that." Surely it's far saner to run
> configure --prefix=/path/to/temploc and then go from there. Disturbing a
> running postmaster for this purpose is crazy. BTW, for years I've used a
> gadget to set up every piece of development work with its own install
> location and port so that this sort of problem doesn't happen. It's
> fairly trivial but I'll gladly share it with you. I rather imagined
> every serious postgres developer would have such a thing.

Well, I use that README most and I wanted to be reminded to shut down
the postmaster.  I don't use Postgres for any production work so
installing in my default location makes sense for me.

We mention in our docs shutting down the postmaster before installing:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/install-procedure.html

    Installing the Files

        Note: If you are upgrading an existing system and are going to
    install the new files over the old ones, be sure to back up your data
    and shut down the old server before proceeding, as explained in Section
    15.4 above.

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Mention "pg_ctl stop" in pgindent README instructions.
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Mention "pg_ctl stop" in pgindent README instructions.