Re: Re: best practice for moving millions of rows to child table when setting up partitioning?

От ktm@rice.edu
Тема Re: Re: best practice for moving millions of rows to child table when setting up partitioning?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Quoting Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>:

>>> 5. Finally, I'll drop the indexes on the parent table and
>>> truncate it.
>
> Luckily I noticed the problem with TRUNCATE and partitioning before my
> work got to production.
>
> TRUNCATE cascades automatically and silently to child tables, which was
> not my intent.
>
> This is mentioned here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Table_partitioning
>
> But is not mentioned in the official documentation for TRUNCATE:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-truncate.html
>
> The work-around we used was to put the TRUNCATE statement ahead of the
> ALTER TABLE .. INHERIT statements in our final transaction.
>
>    Mark
You need to use the "ONLY" option to TRUNCATE to just do the single
parent and not cascade to the child tables.

Regards,
Ken

От: Sam Stearns
Сообщение: Re: Unable to Insert Row
От: adrien ducos
Сообщение: Re: My server is oddly very slow