Re: simple question about using an empty string building a partial index

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: simple question about using an empty string building a partial index
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 08:48:19AM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 05:52 AM, Tom Hartnett wrote:
> > can it be done?
> >
> > create index my_idx on my_table(col1) where col1='';
> >
> > ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: ""
> >
> > Seems simple enough but I don't know what the trick is.
> >

> col1 is an integer, not a string. And you cannot check for empty string
> in an integer column.

So if you've got a lot of records that display that column as an emtpy
string, it's actually probably filled with a NULL, so your index create
command would be something like:

create index my_idx on my_table(col1) where col1 is null;

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166

Сообщение: Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?
Сообщение: Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?