Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum

От daveg
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 07:43:39PM -0600, David Christensen wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2011, at 3:28 PM, daveg wrote:
>
> > Anything new on this? I'm seeing at on one of my clients production boxes.
> > Also, what is the significance, ie what is the risk or damage potential if
> > this flag is set incorrectly?
>

> Was this cluster upgraded to 8.4.4 from 8.4.0?  It sounds to me like a known bug in 8.4.0 which was fixed by this
commit:

> commit 7fc7a7c4d082bfbd579f49e92b046dd51f1faf5f
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Date:   Mon Aug 24 02:18:32 2009 +0000
>
>     Fix a violation of WAL coding rules in the recent patch to include an
>     "all tuples visible" flag in heap page headers.  The flag update *must*
>     be applied before calling XLogInsert, but heap_update and the tuple
>     moving routines in VACUUM FULL were ignoring this rule.  A crash and
>     replay could therefore leave the flag incorrectly set, causing rows
>     to appear visible in seqscans when they should not be.  This might explain
>     recent reports of data corruption from Jeff Ross and others.
>
>     In passing, do a bit of editorialization on comments in visibilitymap.c.
>
> oy:postgresql machack$ git describe --tag 7fc7a7c4d082bfbd579f49e92b046dd51f1faf5f
> REL8_4_0-190-g7fc7a7c
>
> If the flag got twiddled while running as 8.4.0, the incorrect PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag would (obviously) not be fixed by
theupgrade to 8.4.4.  (Is this a separate issue?)

This cluster was installed with 8.4.4. So it is still an existing problem.
Also, to my recollection, this cluster has never crashed.

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg@sonic.net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869

От: Maxim Boguk
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum
От: daveg
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum