Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Bernhard Schrader wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 27.01.2011, 09:18 -0600 schrieb Kevin Grittner:
> > Bernhard Schrader <bernhard.schrader@innogames.de> wrote:
> >
> > > what maybe is also interesting, if i start the database manually i
> > > have a huge waiting IO of 23% for a time of maybe 2-5 minutes, i
> > > think it is because of the fragmentation of the tables.
> > >
> > > is the shutdown so slow because of the waiting io? but why can i
> > > stop it as user root without problems...
> >
> > How do you "stop it as user root", exactly?  If you kill PostgreSQL
> > too abruptly, the recovery could easily run for several minutes with
> > a lot of I/O while it recovers.
> >
> > Taking pg_upgrade out of the picture for a minute -- how long do
> > shutdowns and startups normally take you?
> >
> > -Kevin
> >
> well, i tested it now with user postgres, the same command as the
> program, and it didnt shut down the server, the log gives me the notice
> that it want to shut down but it doesnt happen, maybe this stop method
> is to "friendly". i tested it with the already running db, so there were
> no waiting io or anything.. with option "-m fast" it stops without
> problems.
>
> normally i do it as user root with /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 (stop|
> start) and the shutdown takes about 5-10 seconds, the start the same but
> with some waiting io, which takes up to 5 minutes of bad perfomance.

I suggest you take pg_upgrade out of the testing and find out why you
are having startup/shutdown delays.  Once they are fixed, pg_upgrade
should work fine.

My initial reaction is that something is wrong with your system, either
the I/O or the way it is being shutdown by the script.  I would start to
look in the script and do some pg_ctl tests starting/stopping the
server.

Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow
Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow