Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Mladen Gogala <mladen.gogala@vmsinfo.com> writes:
> > Again, having an optimizer which will choose the plan completely
> > accurately is, at least in my opinion, less important than having a
> > possibility of manual control, the aforementioned "knobs and buttons"
> > and produce the same plan for the same statement.
>
> More knobs and buttons is the Oracle way, and the end result of that
> process is that you have something as hard to use as Oracle.  That's
> generally not thought of as desirable in this community.

Let reply, but Mladen, you might want to look at my blog entry
explaining why knobs are often not useful because they are only used by
a small percentage of users (and confuse the rest):

    http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2009.html#January_10_2009