Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences
Дата
Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences
Список pgsql-performance
Chris Browne wrote:
> gentosaker@gmail.com (A B) writes:
> > If you just wanted PostgreSQL to go as fast as possible WITHOUT any
> > care for your data (you accept 100% dataloss and datacorruption if any
> > error should occur), what settings should you use then?
>
> Use /dev/null.  It is web scale, and there are good tutorials.
>
> But seriously, there *are* cases where "blind speed" is of use.  When
> fall over, it may be pretty acceptable to start "from scratch" with
> mkfs/initdb.
>
> I'd:
> - turn off fsync
> - turn off synchronous commit
> - put as much as possible onto Ramdisk/tmpfs/similar as possible

FYI, we do have a documentation section about how to configure Postgres
for improved performance if you don't care about durability:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/non-durability.html