Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 08:57:09PM +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find attached a WIP patch for extension's pg_dump support in
> PostgreSQL, following design decisions that we've outlined earlier at
> this year's and last year's PGCon developer meetings.
>
> What's in the patch?
>
> An extension is a new SQL object with a catalog and two commands to
> manage them (reserved to superuser):
>
>   CREATE EXTENSION <extension> ;
>   DROP EXTENSION [IF EXISTS] <extension> [ RESTRICT | CASCADE ];

Kudos!

>  - User Documentation.  Where in the manual do I write it?

Parts belong in Server Administration, others in Server Programming.

>  - Extension Upgrading
>
>    Should this be done by means of 'create extension' or some other
>    command, like 'alter extension foo upgrade'? The command would
>    run the SQL script again, which would be responsible for any
>    steps the extension author might find necessary to run.

As people will want to up- or downgrade extensions to a particular
version, this should probably be something more like ALTER EXTENSION
... SET VERSION [version number | LATEST | PREVIOUS ]... or something
like that.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!