Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Дата
Re: Extensions, this time with a patch  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: Extensions, this time with a patch  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from David Fetter's message of mié oct 13 11:27:56 -0300 2010:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 08:57:09PM +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> >  - Extension Upgrading
> >
> >    Should this be done by means of 'create extension' or some other
> >    command, like 'alter extension foo upgrade'? The command would
> >    run the SQL script again, which would be responsible for any
> >    steps the extension author might find necessary to run.
>
> As people will want to up- or downgrade extensions to a particular
> version, this should probably be something more like ALTER EXTENSION
> ... SET VERSION [version number | LATEST | PREVIOUS ]... or something
> like that.

Does this mean that the control file should contain a version number in
the filename?  Otherwise, I don't see how you'd have more than one
version of the control file.

Also, if upgrading is necessary, there will need to be one "upgrade"
control file that says how to upgrade from version N to N+1.

I don't think we should really support the downgrade case.  It has the
potential to get too messy -- and for what gain?