Re: where does postgres keep the query result until it is returned?

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: where does postgres keep the query result until it is returned?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 03:37:58PM +0200, Willy-Bas Loos wrote:

> > Rows are sent back in the entireity, so the PG instance would need
> > enough memory to work with that row.  When you're running a 32bit
> > version of PG, values whose size is beyond ~100MB are a bit touch and go
> > whether it will work.
>
> ?? I hear that it's posible to store up to a GiB as a value for a "text" field.
> How would i possibly retrieve that data from the database?

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/functions-string.html

    │ substring(string [from int] [for int]) │ text   │ Extract substring

@all: Regarding the HTML docs:

Could index entries be made HTML anchors such that I
could have turned the above link something like this:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/bookindex.html#substring

?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346