Re: Forcing the right queryplan

От Henk van Lingen
Тема Re: Forcing the right queryplan
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 11:16:36AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
  > Henk van Lingen <H.G.K.vanLingen@uu.nl> writes:
  >
  > >   But how can I get sane estimates for syslog data? Some searchstrings will
  > >   result in only a few hits, others in thousands of records or more.
  >
  > That's what ANALYZE is for ...

  Yes, off course. But I don't see how the most_common_vals & freqs and the
  histogram_bounds for a text field with syslog data make any sense when
  doing doing a search for a substring. Increasing the number of entries in
  those stats lists doesn't make any sense also, i presume.

  Those stats should be based on analysis of the to_tsvector index, to have
  any meaning, i think.

  Today I will look into the multicolumn index suggestion.

  Regards,

--
Henk van Lingen, ICT-SC Netwerk & Telefonie,                  (o-      -+
Universiteit Utrecht, Jenalaan 18a, room 0.12                 /\        |