Re: Converting a Simple Database from MySQL to PostgreSQL in 40 hours?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Converting a Simple Database from MySQL to PostgreSQL in 40 hours?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 24 June 2010 3:41:08 pm Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My internal customer has a new project and is considering using MySQL.
> Knowing that I'm a Postgres person, the customer is open to considering
> Postgres at a later date if the cost to transition is less than 40 hours.
> The database will probably be relatively small and simple (still in the
> planning stage).  I personally think it's not possible to convert even a
> simple database from MySQL to Postgres in less than 40 hours. Has anyone
> done the conversion before? If so, what do you think?
>

> Please advise.
> Mary

In addition to what David said, you might want to see about getting involved in
the planning stage. I could see creating a shadow Postgres database that is
kept close to the MySQL one via some scripts. Would make the transition less
hectic. Would also give the developers some thing to work with as they went
along.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com