Re: New PGXN Extension site

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: New PGXN Extension site
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
>
> > One issue that will come up: this is clearly a more commercial
> > enterprise than Jarkko's CPAN (and the internet is a different place
> > than it was in 1995) You pushed money right to the front with this, so
> > that will lead to certain questions concerning ownership of what
> > arguably should be community resources: the IP of the aggregate index,
> > for example.
> >
> > I'm a big believer in JFDI as well - just be aware that toes will get
> > stepped on, and require some bandages.
>
> I have bandages. And a machete. ;-P
>
> Seriously, it's not commercial. I really want to do it and I can't
> really afford to do it in my meager spare time. Those with sore toes
> will be asked to wait and see.

I totaly agreed you need funding, and you are very well qualified to do
this, and it is a badly needed facility.

The problem I had is that the effort appeared to be "I am creating my
own sandbox, fund me" (particularly the FAQ), which is probably not what
you wanted to convey.  I understand adjustments are being made and if
you can clarify how this is going to relate to the community in terms of
input, oversight, and management, it might be something the entire
community can get behind, and help fund.

-- Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://enterprisedb.com