Re: What Linux edition we should chose?

От Bret S. Lambert
Тема Re: What Linux edition we should chose?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 01:32:44AM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> >I run my site (see my signature) on a self managed VPS. I was using
> >the default PGSQL RPM from the fedora repository, the site was getting
> >way slow. So I compiled all the stuff apache, php and postgresql with
> >custom gcc flags, which improved performance like hell

And were the versions the same? If you're going to go to the
trouble of hand-compiling, I'm willing to bet that you went to
the trouble of finding more recent versions of the software.

That is not how you test things.

> Without breaking down how much of that speed increase was from
> Apache, PHP, and PostgreSQL respectively, I'm not sure what the
> people who package PostgreSQL can really learn from your data here.
> Reports on improving PostgreSQL performance by tweaking optimizer
> flags haven't been very repeatable for others when they've popped up
> in the past, so for all we know the bulk of your gain came from
> Apache and PHP optimizations.

Not to mention that compiler optimizations increase the chance of
hitting a compiler bug. Getting the wrong answer fast is not an
improvement over the right answer slow.