Re: pg_upgrade and extra_float_digits

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade and extra_float_digits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe I have misunderstood. How exactly is the server version being
> >> hacked here? I know it's only for testing, but it still seems to me that
> >> lying to a program as heavily version dependant as pg_dump is in general
> >> a bad idea.
> >>

> > The code in pg_dump 9.0 is:
> >
> >     /*
> >      * If supported, set extra_float_digits so that we can dump float data
> >      * exactly (given correctly implemented float I/O code, anyway)
> >      */
> >     if (g_fout->remoteVersion >= 90000)
> >         do_sql_command(g_conn, "SET extra_float_digits TO 3");
> >     else if (g_fout->remoteVersion >= 70400)
> > -->     do_sql_command(g_conn, "SET extra_float_digits TO 2");
> >
> > The indicated line had to be changed to '3'.  I did not change anything
> > else, and it was only done in my private CVS tree.
> >

> Oh, I see. It is pg_dump that you hacked. That wasn't clear to me from
> what you first said.
>
> But do earlier server versions accept a value of 3? The 8.4 docs say
> "The value can be set as high as 2".

That is the other thing I had to hack --- the 8.4 backend version had to
be changed to accept '3'.  The good thing is this has to be done only
once --- once I have the dump file, I can use it in testing repeatedly
because 8.4 does not change.

Eventually the idea would be to have the build farm run such tests (with
a properly created dump file) so we can learn quickly if the backend
data format is changed.

http://enterprisedb.com