Re: missing file in git repo

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: missing file in git repo
Дата
Re: missing file in git repo  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: missing file in git repo  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: missing file in git repo  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: missing file in git repo  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> [100503 09:02]:

> I can probably pull together a script that exports from both git and cvs
> and compares.

HINT:  It's all been done and posted to -hackers before too... Along
with comparisons on on whte "one-time" conversions fare (parsecvs,
cvs2svn/git), etc, as well as long discussion on which keyword you want
expanded, and which you don't, etc. bla bla bla...

Not to rain on anyone's git-parade, I'm a huge git fan, but until the
busy committers, like Tom, Bruce, Heikki, Robert, Andrew, Simon, Alvaro,
(and all the rest I'm missing or don't know how to spell of the top of
my head) actually *all use* git (and by use, I really mean use, not just
copy-n-paste from some "howto mimic CVS with git" guide), any "planned"
switch is just asking for a huge backlash of "it doesn't work like it
used to", and bitter complaints...

So, for those of you trying to "plan" the conversion to git, I'ld really
recommend you start working with the other committers, and get them
"using" git...  Show them how much it makes their current CVS committing
easier even... Let them see what git can do *for* them (and for everyone
else too).  And then I suspect you'll find that this whole "switch" will
suddenly not be a big issue...  The whole "find the perfect conversion"
isn't even needed...  In fact, they might even realize why Linus's
method for the switch to git for the linux kernel is often the best (if
not right) approach...

If you want, I know a guy in Ottawa that does really fantastic git
presentations...  He's done them to many of the local *UGs, Is there
interest from the core committers in getting one done at PGcon?

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,