Re: Multiple buffer cache?

От Bret S. Lambert
Тема Re: Multiple buffer cache?
Дата
Re: Multiple buffer cache?  ("BillR" <iambill@williamrosmus.com>)
Re: Multiple buffer cache?  (Alexei Vladishev <alexei.vladishev@zabbix.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 11:41:13PM +0200, Alexei Vladishev wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there a way of configuring PostgreSQL so that one specific table would
> use, say, 4GB of buffer cache while other tables would use the rest?
>
> I would like to keep the table and its indexes always in "hot"
> state, so that
> other queries won't pollute this part of the buffer cache. It would ensure
> reliable performance and much less disk IOPS working with the table.

Fiddling with the buffer cache like that would require some sort of
OS support, if I'm not mistaken in what you're asking for.

And then, even if the support is there, you'd need to outline exactly
how you're planning on pushing this button.

Specifically, what's your usage pattern that would make this a
win for you?

If the table and its indexes can already fit into the buffer cache,
and it's as commonly accessed as you think it is, the OS should
probably have it cached anyway.