Re: Multiple buffer cache?

От BillR
Тема Re: Multiple buffer cache?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I don't know how to do this with PostgreSQL, but I am pretty sure what
Alexei is looking for is what Oracle and SQL Server people refer to as
'pinning' a table or other DB object (into memory). I would be interested to
know if PostgreSQL does this too. I think it is a very useful feature.

How to pin a table in cache with Oracle (for an example):
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/pin_table.html

Couple more examples.

http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2007/05/pinning_objects_to_improve_app.ht
ml

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1317

In some large enterprise systems I have worked on (e.g. tier one telecom
companies), besides the standard Oracle installation the billing systems
used one database product where everything was in memory. This was used
*mostly* for static lookup data to help speed up the performance of the
system. When you have say, 300 million customers, every little bit helps. :)

Hopefully someone knows how with Postgres.

Cheers