Re: operator exclusion constraints

От David Fetter
Тема Re: operator exclusion constraints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 01:36:59PM +0900, Josh Berkus wrote:
> RObert,
>
> > I guess I'm going to have to vote -1 on this proposal.  I code see
> > inventing a pgsql-specific SQLSTATE value for exclusion constraints,
> > since they will be a pgsql-specific extension, but reusing the unique
> > key violation value seems misleading.  I admit it may help in a
> > limited number of cases, but IMHO it's not worth the confusion.
>
> I'd rather have a new one than just using "contstraint violation" which
> is terribly non-specific, and generally makes the application developer
> think that a value is too large.

What, if anything, does the standard have to say about violations of
ASSERTIONs?  I know these aren't ASSERTIONs, but they much more
closely resemble them than they do UNIQUE constraints.  For example,
if the operator is <> instead of =, a violation is actually the
opposite of a UNIQUE violation.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Updating column on row update
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Updating column on row update