Re: Increasing the length of a VARCHAR column without table rewrite

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Increasing the length of a VARCHAR column without table rewrite
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Lewis Kapell wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Is the table in question so large that you can't afford the time it
> would take to perform ALTER COLUMN TYPE?
>
> I definitely would not go poking around in system catalogs and
> changing things there.  Not unless you *want* to trash your
> database...  The fact that 'todo' has not yet been implemented
> suggests that it is not a simple matter of changing one attribute in
> a system catalog.

Well, it is (in this case at least) -- the problem is that we want a
general solution, not one that only applies to the particular problem of
widening a column's max length.

(When playing with this, however, note that the modified table may need
a toast table that may not be there).