Re: generic modelling of data models; enforcing constraints dynamically...

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: generic modelling of data models; enforcing constraints dynamically...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:01:02AM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Sam Mason wrote:
> > It all depends on the problem domain of course, but this seems to work
> > OK for us!  I really want to hack Samba around so that the users can
> > view the files directly from inside the database, but I'm not sure how
> > good an idea this really.
>
> "hack Samba"?   Wouldn't it be easier to use one of the database-as-a
> filesystem FUSE bindings and run stock samba over that?

Huh, that would indeed be much easier.  I hadn't thought about this for
a while and Rob's post reminded me.  I don't think FUSE existed when I
started thinking about it and as all our clients are Windows boxes it
didn't matter at the time.

> The perl Fuse::DBI module's example  sounds pretty similar to the
> system you described where he "file" seems to be a column in a table.
> http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin/fuse_dbi.html

FUSE looks pretty easy to get going and I think I'd want more control
over how files were presented than this gives so I'd probably end up
rolling my own code.  Thanks for pointing out that FUSE though, not sure
why I'd not thought of it before.  I'll probably still never get around
to it, but maybe I will!

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/