Re: Controlling proliferation of postgres.exe processes

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Controlling proliferation of postgres.exe processes
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Greetings!
>
> At the current moment, our customer's computer has 22 instances of postgres.exe running.  When a colleague checked a
fewminutes ago, there were 29.  Our contract specifies that we cannot consume more than 40% of the computer's memory,
andwe're over that level.  When does an instance of postgres.exe get created, and how can we make sure we create only
theminimum number necessary?

Each connection gets a dedicated process.  If you need to control the
max # of processes, adjust the max_connections parameter in
postgresql.conf

Note that there are a few processes that run independently (such as
the stats collecter), so the actual # of process will be max_connections
plus a few (the exact # depends on config options, but usually 3 or so)

However, since memory is your problems and not # of processes, you may
want to look at other parameters in postgresql.conf related to memory
usage.  I'm not familiar with the use of PostgreSQL on Windows, so I can't
offer much advice there.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

От: Emanuel Calvo Franco
Сообщение: Re: Query optimizer & prepared statements
От: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Сообщение: Re: drawback of array vs join