Re: pg_migrator mention in documentation

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_migrator mention in documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Saturday 06 June 2009 16:21:22 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Now that pg_migrator is in beta
> > > (http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000235), I was wondering if we want
> > > to mention pg_migrator anywhere in our docs or release notes?  Josh
> > > Berkus is already mentioning it in the draft press release.
> >
> > Having gotten no replies I assume we don't want to mention pg_migrator
> > in the release notes or documentation, which is fine.  It is mentioned
> > in the press release.
>
> Will you eventually want to ship pg_migrator in contrib?  If so, then
> documentation will be added when that happens.

It is really up to the community, not me, what they want to do with the
code.

> If not, we should add a link somewhere where the upgrade process is described
> (installation instructions, I think).

I think the question is what do we want to do for 8.4, if anything, and
then we can figure out what to do for later releases.

> The makefile for pg_migrator currently assumes by default that it is located
> under contrib/.  Which confuses me.

You can compile pg_migrator by copying it to /contrib, or using PGXS;
both work.  Read the 15-step install instructions for details:
(7)  Build pg_migratorFor pg_migrator source installs, keep in mind the compile must use the_new_ PostgreSQL source
directoryand be installed in the new Postgresinstall directory.The simplest build option is to point to the top of the
PostgreSQLsourcetree by running something like:        gmake top_builddir=/usr/src/pgsql installReplace
'/usr/src/pgsql'with your source directory.  pg_migrator alsounderstands the 'prefix=' specification if you installed
Postgresin acustom location.  Another build option is to copy the pg_migratordirectory into contrib/pg_migrator in the
newPostgreSQL source tree andrun a simple 'gmake install'.  A third install method is to use PGXS(assuming the new
'pg_config'is in your $PATH):        USE_PGXS=1 gmake prefix=/usr/local/pgsql.new install

http://enterprisedb.com