Re: Custom Fields Database Architecture

От David Goodenough
Тема Re: Custom Fields Database Architecture
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 15 June 2009, Gnanam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm designing a database schema in which I should allow user to create
> custom fields at the application level.  My application is a web-based
> system and it has multiple companies in a  single database.  So this means
> that each company can create their own custom fields.  A  custom field
> created in a company should not be visibile to the other company.  Also, we
> don't want to restrict the number of fields allowed to create.
>
> I also read some article which talks about the type of patterns:
> 1. Meta-database
> 2. Mutating
> 3. Fixed
> 4. LOB
>
> My question here is, what is the best approach to define the architecture
> for custom fields. Performance should not be compromised.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Gnanam.
>
> --
> Nabble.com.

It depends a bit how you want to use the data.  If you are not wedded to the
RDMS model, you might look at CouchDB which is a schema-less DB.  But
do not expect to run SQL against it - it takes a rather different approach.
There are others around, some of them proprietary, Lotus Notes/Domino
is probably the best know of these.

David