Re: Scalability in postgres

От Marc Cousin
Тема Re: Scalability in postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
It's not that trivial with Oracle either. I guess you had to use shared
servers to get to that amount of sessions. They're most of the time not
activated by default (dispatchers is at 0).

Granted, they are part of the 'main' product, so you just have to set up
dispatchers, shared servers, circuits, etc ... but there is still setup to
do : dispatchers are (if I recall correctly) a completely manual parameter
(and every dispatcher can only drive a certain amount of sessions, dependant
on the operating system), where shared servers is a bit more dynamic, but
still uses processes (so you may have to tweak max processes also).

What I mean to say is that Oracle does something quite alike PostgreSQL + a
connection pooler, even if it's more advanced (it's a shared memory structure
that is used to send messages between dispatchers and shared servers).

Or did you mean that you had thousands of sessions in dedicated mode ?